8.08.2007

I'm not ashamed.


Ok, so I'll admit it. I'm a HUGE Harry Potter fan. I've read all the books, and occasionally have been found browsing MuggleNet and other such fansites...

Earlier in the month of July, Dave surprised me with tickets to the midnight movie showing of the fifth HP movie! It was totally fun, and I absolutely loved the movie. I think it was very well done. And I must say, the lady who played Dolores Umbridge was nomination-worthy. So subtly evil.

After seeing the movie, I realized I had only a few days before the release of the seventh book, so I decided to re-read the sixth book. This was a good choice, because when the sixth book was released, it had been about two years since I read the previous book, and it was really frustrating to realize how much I had forgotten. It made it more difficult to follow the story. SO, of course I wouldn't make that mistake again, especially not for the final book!! I read the sixth book in about two days and waited in excited anticipation for the final installment.

Now, as I've already explained to you, I am a huge Harry Potter dork. So that would explain the following picture:



You better believe I waited in line in the morning (the day before the release) for a Barnes & Noble wristband, so I could attend the official HP release party at their gigantic location in Union Square. I wore that little red band all day, and headed to the party around 10:30pm. There were SO many people there, I wasn't actually able to move around to any of the cool activities. Luckily, I found a magazine rack and a comfy spot on the floor, and I waited. And waited. And waited.

Finally, at 2:00am exactly, I had the book in my hands! I hopped in a cab and headed home. And then I collapsed in my bed. I didn't have any energy to even read. Ha!

The cool thing about not working over the summer is having a free schedule to read all day and night. I actually denied tickets to a Yankees game with Dave, because I didn't want to lose reading time, and I didn't want to have anyone shout anything out about the ending... Like I said, D-O-R-K. :)

I managed to finish it in just a few days. I laughed, I cried. Now I want to read them all over again. J.K.Rowling is a freakin' genius. I can't believe one person put all of this together.

I can't believe it's over. But I'm happy. It's been fun, Harry Potter.

2 comments:

Kyle McMahon said...

What is even better is the recent announcement about the Harry Potter Encyclopedia that she is creating with notes and information on characters she was unable to work into the narratives.

I'm excited, but I guess that makes me a dork too.

Long time no chat by the way.

-Kyle

rosa said...

That's such cool news. That woman is a genius.

Kyle, I'm happy that you, like me, have embraced your Harry-Potter-loving side. It's so great to hear from you. :)