1.17.2008

Let it snow!

Ok, people. I wanna know why everyone in Charlottesville is afraid of snow. I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio. I know real snow. For example, I remember many times where we had more than three feet of snow fall in one night. We're talkin' real snow storms.

As I grew up, there were many times where the snow was so bad they had to cancel school. But it was hard to get-- I remember waking up early before school to turn on the news and see if our school was listed on the bottom of the screen. I was frustrated many times, and I would put on my boots and begrudgingly trod to school.

Now let's talk about Charlottesville. It's like the city's never seen snow. Everybody freaks out. The weather report will call for a CHANCE of snow, and people are barging through the doors at my work to buy shovels, salt, and even sleds! In the three years I've been here, I've seen a total of three and a half inches of snow fall, and three of those were today. Before today, it's never even stuck to the ground. I do have to cut everyone some slack-- it really did snow last night. But I can't believe that three inches means a state of emergency here! Schools are cancelled, businesses are closed, and no one's on the roads. I had to go in to work today (my day off) because so many people called out because of the weather!

I think the snow is pretty. And I do agree, we should all drive more carefully just to be safe. Even a little bit of snow can be dangerous. But to swear off leaving the house? That's a bit overboard.
Drive safely everyone. It's a jungle out there.

8 comments:

Lauren said...

My BYU roommate (from Texas) and I would skip class if it snowed. In Utah. We'd drink hot chocolate and watch movies all day. Southerners are programmed to stay inside when the sky is falling. :)

Arielle said...

I can relate to you, in Alaska we never ever had a day off school. I guess it's because most people could just plow their own way to school. I remember church being cancelled once but never school. Did you have to stop the school bus so the driver could put the chains on? That was always exciting for me!

The Olsons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Olsons said...

I guess you don't remember our first year when we got six inches and a close to a dozen power outages! :)

emily & david said...

Yes, Cleveland is cold. Now that I live in Texas people wear winter coats when it's like 60 it's so funny. Texans are funny.

rosa said...

Alright, I have to give you that one. It did snow here our first year-- or it "iced" here would be a better word.

The For Real JP said...

Valentines Day 2007... We got I think a little under 4 1/2 feet of snow, and I had to go to work! no school the next day, that was a relief.
It's like you said when I was visiting, it's not that the weather is bad, Charlottesville just isn't ready for anything more than a heavy rain, if that!

Rebecca said...

I was wondering the same thing and concluded that I think the snow here is a lot different consistency than other places and tends to turn icey very fast and be a lot more dangerous for driving. I also think that since it doesn't snow a lot here there just isn't the infrastructure to handle the snow...plows etc... It also seems like there are lots of tiny, windy back roads that could get pretty scary. And that's all I have to say 'bout that:)